Tapas Tour in Madrid

When I first heard of the term Tapas Tour, I thought, we will probably go to different restaurants where we can try tapas. I didn'...


When I first heard of the term Tapas Tour, I thought, we will probably go to different restaurants where we can try tapas. I didn't have much expectation as the tour was not that expensive at all. I knew it was a must-do, and so I encouraged my friend, ate Carla that we try it. The meeting point was at Plaza Mayor at 4 pm. It was an August summer, and so I was wearing a borrowed black top that showed my massive shoulders. I looked around to see who else joined? I never really plan on talking with them. I guess that's how I usually am; I am not very social whenever I travel. One single man wearing sunglasses, a pair of shorts and a shirt was taking a selfie - he must be traveling on his own. I remembered him to be the funny guy who also took the walking tour with us. Funny because he kept on taking exciting selfies on his own - which I felt awkward in doing even if I have company. I never have the courage to do that. 

Some girls were chatting. There was one husband and wife. I counted, there were ten of us. Our male guide (alas, I can't remember the name) got this big eyes, curly black hair and beard enthusiastically greeted us. He started telling us what we were to do, that tapas is all about being social and that we should talk and be friends with others in our group. And although a small part of me protested, I did it nevertheless. I started mingling, and my friend also talked to another person while we walk to our first stop. 



We reached Inclan - Brutal Bar, which breathed a charming atmosphere with its green, and brown color scheme, wooden tables, and chairs, yellow bulbs hanging from the ceiling. We were then seated and served with tapas while our guide explained the food and the history of tapas. A long time ago, the purpose of tapas was to cover one's drink. It should be the same size or bigger than the mouth of a bottle or glass. The first one we tried was a potato mixed with egg and one crunchy ball. I remembered enjoying the food especially when they served sangria as well! Oh my, it rained sangria on this day! Sangria is wine with fruits. Ours must have contained lots of fruits because I couldn't even taste the alcohol. And so, drink I did! 








The second stop was at Museo del Jamon. This is not a proper restaurant with seats; rather this is a branch of shops that sell ham. I must have seen several of this shop in the streets of Madrid, and oh the variety they have here was fantastic. I couldn't help but buy my share of hams. We didn't go until we finished all hams in the platter. We were then again handed with a bottle of La Casera, Tinto de Verano - a bottled sangria! I can't remember if I finished the bottle, but it was refreshing and sweet and no acidity. When I took a selfie with ate Carla, I could feel my hot red face! 



Last stop was at La Cristiana Taberna - a cozy and small restaurant where we were seated at the farthest end. This time we were handed with two bota bags filled with (guess what?) sangria! A bota bag is a traditional Spanish liquid receptacle. We were taught how to drink from it using our thumb to direct the liquid into our mouth. That bota bag was then passed around until it was finished. I don't know why but it didn't seem to run out of sangria. The group of ten people struggled in finished two bota bags!

That was the last stop, but we wanted more. And so some of us went to another restaurant where we can all sat down and chat. I learned a lot from these people as they told me stories about their travels. I can't imagine a private tapas tour. I feel that it will be more fun with people in a small group. I felt ecstatic (and drunk) that evening even if I really felt shit the next day. Hangover got hold of me as I rode that train to Barcelona. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram