PERU SERIES: NAZCA LINES

After an exhilarating experience in the altitude of Cusco, we have flown to Lima and I continued to Paracas, a good 3-hour drive from Lima....

After an exhilarating experience in the altitude of Cusco, we have flown to Lima and I continued to Paracas, a good 3-hour drive from Lima. Paracas is good base for exploring the Nazca lines and Ballestas Islands. Nazca is another hour drive away, however the hotels here are not as good. I stayed in Hotel Paracas, a Luxury Collection on the first night and La Hacienda Bahia Paracas, there are a lot of other nice hotels to consider such as the Doubletree by Hilton and Aranwa. 

I arrived in the evening so there's not much left for me to do, but I love my room in Hotel Paracas, facing the sea, however it is too big for one person. It has its own port, boat to Ballestas Island, a nice Italian restaurant and a fascinating spa - which I never tried but I explored the grounds. 



The next morning when I woke up, I walked around by myself. Later on, I have learned that people from the city will go to Paracas for the weekend. Although it is located in the coastal area, the beaches are not really a thing here so it is important to find a good hotel with nice pools.

The hotel works hard in cleaning the beach, however there are a lot of birds that swimming here is impossible, the smell is really bad. 

Hotel grounds

Breakfast area

One of the several pools in this hotel

The way to the port and to the seafood restaurant, Chalana

The boat used for exploring Ballestas Islands, this is also available for non-guest. I think this this is the best option here. 




That same day, I have taken the Aerodiana to see the Nazca lines. I was reminded by my guide, Margarita not to drink juice nor eat too much because the plane movement is going to be so bad, she's sure my stomach will turn upside down. 

Aerodiana is known to be the most reliable airline for seeing the Nazca Lines. It is very much recommended to take the morning flight, afternoon tends to get very windy. The flight takes almost three hours, 45 minutes from Paracas to Nazca and then around 30 minutes to see the lines. 


Flying from Paracas is a good option, rather than drive to Nazca and take the flight from there. Of course, it's cheaper to fly from Nazca because it is cheaper (a reason why people prefer this option more), but the airport in Paracas is new. Aerodiana only fly from here. 







There are a lot of lines to tick off from the list, however I have not been able to finish it as I started throwing up after ticking 6 lines from my list. I couldn't wait it to be over, but I admit that the lines are very impressive. It is believed to be made by the Nazca people, who came during the pre-Inca period. The Inca people are known for the Machu Picchu, but the Nazca people is known for their designe. Anyhow, there is also the alien theory which even became a movie. 

The Nazca Lines was researched and studied through by Maria Reiche, a German mathematician. At the beginning, everyone thinks she's crazy, but later on she discovered that these are not just normal lines, the designs have purpose. 

Here's an explanation for the Nazca Lines according to Wikipedia: 
On the ground, most of the lines are formed by a shallow trench with a depth between 10 and 15 cm (4 and 6 in). Such trenches were made by removing the reddish-brown iron oxide-coated pebbles that cover the surface of the Nazca Desert. When this gravel is removed, the light-colored clay earth which is exposed in the bottom of the trench produces lines which contrast sharply in color and tone with the surrounding land surface. This sublayer contains high amounts of lime which, with the morning mist, hardens to form a protective layer that shields the lines from winds, thereby preventing erosion.

Once you have completed the flight, you will be receiving a certificate with your name in it. Yey! Afterwards, I went to eat chicken soup because I didn't think I can eat anything else on that day. My motion sickness kicked hard.

I'll end this post here, I will soon post about La Hacienda Bahia Paracas and Ballestas Islands. Paracas can be a nice relaxing way to end your trip in Peru. :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram